Cinco De Mayo has come and gone but as we are ending May with long weekend BBQ’s I thought I would share our favorite appetizer. I think this recipe will be a good one year round. Have you ever been to Tall Boy Taco in Chicago? It’s one of my favorite lunch spots just a block from my office. At Tall Boy Taco they serve a delicious side dish that has pushed guacamole to the back of the line for me. Corn Fundido is gooey, melty and packed with the flavors of roasted corn, chipotle and ancho chili. It has a smokey rich flavor from the peppers but it’s not too spicy and it pairs perfectly with a fresh Paloma.
When planning your Cinco De Mayo or any other festive occasion a margarita might seem to be the logical choice. I’m going to challenge you to try a Paloma. It’s a great alternative! Tequila with the fresh sweetness of ruby red grapefruit juice and a dash of simple syrup is super refreshing with the smokey heat of the corn dip.
- 1 part of your favorite blanco tequila
- 1 part Ruby Red Grapefruit Juice
- 1/2 part of agave syrup or sugar syrup
- 1 part grapefruit soda (I used La Croix)
- a squirt of fresh lime juice (optional)
- Mix the grapefruit juice, tequila and sugar syrup until well mixed.
- Pour into a glass filled with ice and top up with soda water.
- You could add a squirt of lime juice which is nice, and you could also rim the glass with salt.
This recipe makes one small bowl. I doubled the recipe and it disappeared way too fast. I might have to triple it next time.
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- splash lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ancho chili pepper
- 1. Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- 1 cup roasted corn
- 3 tablespoons of mayo mixture
- 2 tablespoon pepperjack cheese shredded
- 1 tablespoon queso fresco
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cilantro (chopped)
- Add corn to a medium fry pan, when warm throughout, (about 5 minutes) add mayo mixture.
- Mix until all of the corn is coated.
- Add both cheeses. Mix for 2 minutes, then pour in bowl.
- Top with chopped cilantro and serve with tortilla chips.