Lemon Cake, Oh my! Can you hear the smile in the title? Olive Oil, Lemons and CAKE!
My husband thinks if he took Olive Oil away from me I would be paralyzed. He might be right. That’s unthinkable! Lemons too. Hands down one of my favorite flavors, lemon! However, when I think of cake I seldom associate it with olive oil. My Mom always used Hellman’s Mayonnaise in her chocolate cake which tasted great but also seemed odd. Don’t judge a cake by it’s ingredients. This one rocks! It has no frosting…WHAT? Stay with me, no frosting is necessary here. The Meyer lemon glaze that is drizzled over the warm cake screams with flavor. Eat Me! My son Joe would lick the pan if I let him.
Not only tasty but easy, one dish and one pan.
note: In the Glaze I use Meyer Lemons. They have a sweeter, unique, fresh flavor that works great in this recipe.
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- zest of 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup extra light olive oil (I like Marca Verde)
- 1tsp vanilla
- 4 eggs
2 cups powdered sugar
Juice of 6 Meyer Lemons
- Preheat oven to 325° spray a 12 cup bundt pan or 9×13 cake pan with non stick spray and coat with flour.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar,baking powder, soda, salt, milk, lemon zest, lemon juice, oil, vanilla and eggs.
- Beat until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake at 325° for 35-50 minutes.
- My oven cooks this cake in 35 min but every oven is different. You want it to be dark golden brown and starting to pull away from the sides.
- While your cake is in the oven, combine the powdered sugar and lemon juice for the glaze, whisk to blend.
- Remove cake from oven.
- Give the powdered sugar mixture one more stir to combine then carefully spoon 1/2 of the lemon mixture over the cake evenly.
- If you used a bundt pan, loosen the edges of the cake and carefully turn out onto a serving plate.
- If you are using a 9×13 pan you can serve it right from the pan.
- Use the rest of the lemon mixture to spoon over each piece as it is served. A fancy sprinkle of powdered sugar looks nice too.
My kids think anything sprinkled with powdered sugar looks special. This is a family favorite. Hope your family loves it too.